THE BIRTHPLACE OF ELECTRONIC SECURITY
From September 1939, Bletchley Park was home to the Government Code and Cypher School. This organisation, forerunner of GCHQ, worked on deciphering military codes and ciphers including the famous Enigma. These were used to secure German, Japanese and other Axis nations' communications.
The world's first semi-programmable electronic computer was designed and built at Bletchley Park. Called 'Colossus', it played a vital role in speeding up the decoding of communications between Hitler and his army commanders.
Bletchley Park is now being transformed into a world-class heritage site and education centre, run by the Bletchley Park Trust. Attractions include a new Visitor Centre, a wide range of exhibitions, and restored Codebreaking Huts.